[digiKam-users] Hope this is not OT

Errol Sapir

Hi All

I am now trying Manjaro KDE after many years of Kununtu. Of course I am also planning to transfer (or redo) my Digikam from Kubuntu to Manjaro. I have however a photo question that doesn't specifically apply specifically to either of these programs. As I said in the subject I hope it isn't OT but as it is photo connected and I hope Digikam can help as well I would appreciate the help of anyone who can. If it is OT the moderators can remove my post and I will understand.

I am transferring all my slides (and eventually negatives) to digital format. I am looking for a one-click solution (program) that will restore colours back to normal. Many of the slides have faded and I would like to get them back to show signs of life. After that I will be able to choose the more important ones and tweak them. As there are thousands of slides I really need a simple (even if not accurate) solution. As I have access to windows as well as to Linux the program can be a Windows one or a Linux one.

TIA

Errol

Re: Hope this is not OT

Gilles Caulier-4

Le mer. 12 mai 2021 à 04:39, Errol Sapir <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi All

I am now trying Manjaro KDE after many years of Kununtu. Of course I am also planning to transfer (or redo) my Digikam from Kubuntu to Manjaro. I have however a photo question that doesn't specifically apply specifically to either of these programs. As I said in the subject I hope it isn't OT but as it is photo connected and I hope Digikam can help as well I would appreciate the help of anyone who can. If it is OT the moderators can remove my post and I will understand.

I am transferring all my slides (and eventually negatives) to digital format. I am looking for a one-click solution (program) that will restore colours back to normal.

You want mean to invert color ? If yes, ImageMagick is your friend, especially -negate option:

This can be scripted of course to parse and process automatically all files from your collection. And of course, all can be done de facto under Linux from command line.

Else, In digiKam, Invert Color tool from Batch Queue Manager can be used. Create a new Queue, assign items to process, configure the output options (path, file name, etc...), assign Invert tool + the convert format if necessary, and... you can take a coffee.

Best

Gilles Caulier

Re: Hope this is not OT

Stuart T Rogers
Digikam and Imagemagick are great but do not do what you want
automatically. I don't know how you intend to copy your slides but
Vuescan supports hundreds of scanners and does restore colours as part
of each scan for both slides and photos or negatives. It does have a
trial version so it may be worth a look.

I have no connection with Vuescan other than a satisfied user.

Stuart

Website: https://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      https//www.broadstairs.org

Re: Hope this is not OT

Gilles Caulier-4
no. digiKam and IM have the histogram auto colors correction tool (in BQM for DK)

Gilles Caulier