[digiKam-users] Exporting RAW as full-resolution JPEG

[digiKam-users] Exporting RAW as full-resolution JPEG

Olivier Croquette
Hi,

I am struggling with a simple task: exporting some raw images from my
albums to an arbitrary directory (outside of the albums). I would like
to keep the original resolution of the images (4608x3072 or vice-versa).
The menu item "Export / Export to local store" sounds promising, but I
have two problems with it:

- The "Image length" in the dialog seems to be limited to 4000 px. At
least I cannot enter any bigger number, like 4608

- Even if I set the "Image length" to 4000 px, the exported JPEG is
1616x1080. At first, I thought that I was hitting another limit, but now
I think DK exports the embedded thumbnail instead of "rendering" the raw
image

As a workaround, I fired up RawTherapee and exported the images from
there. It is a bit cumbersome, but it works.

Is there anyway to export the raw images from DK? If not, a warning in
the export dialog would be nice.

Independently of raw images, I think the export function could benefit
from the following improvements:

- Add an option to export without changing the image resolution

- Add an option to prevent up-scaling (or is that the case by default?)

Best regards
Olivier

Re: Exporting RAW as full-resolution JPEG

Dmitri Popov-4
Hi Olivier,

Try to convert RAW files using the Batch Queue Manager. Add the desired RAW files to the manager using the Ctrl+B keyboard shortcut. Then add the Convert to JPEG tool to the job and a configure other settings, if needed. Run the job.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
---
Tōkyō Made - https://tokyoma.de/

June 6, 2021 11:12 PM, "Olivier Croquette" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am struggling with a simple task: exporting some raw images from my albums to an arbitrary
> directory (outside of the albums). I would like to keep the original resolution of the images
> (4608x3072 or vice-versa). The menu item "Export / Export to local store" sounds promising, but I
> have two problems with it:
>
> - The "Image length" in the dialog seems to be limited to 4000 px. At least I cannot enter any
> bigger number, like 4608
>
> - Even if I set the "Image length" to 4000 px, the exported JPEG is 1616x1080. At first, I thought
> that I was hitting another limit, but now I think DK exports the embedded thumbnail instead of
> "rendering" the raw image
>
> As a workaround, I fired up RawTherapee and exported the images from there. It is a bit cumbersome,
> but it works.
>
> Is there anyway to export the raw images from DK? If not, a warning in the export dialog would be
> nice.
>
> Independently of raw images, I think the export function could benefit from the following
> improvements:
>
> - Add an option to export without changing the image resolution
>
> - Add an option to prevent up-scaling (or is that the case by default?)
>
> Best regards
> Olivier

Re: Exporting RAW as full-resolution JPEG

Remco Viëtor
On dimanche 6 juin 2021 23:12:41 CEST Olivier Croquette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am struggling with a simple task: exporting some raw images from my
> albums to an arbitrary directory (outside of the albums). I would like
> to keep the original resolution of the images (4608x3072 or vice-versa).
> The menu item "Export / Export to local store" sounds promising, but I
> have two problems with it:

The only displayable image you can get from a raw file by a simple export
would be the embedded jpeg. Those are small previews, created by the camera.
Small means half or quarter resolution...

To get a full-size jpeg image, you need to develop/edit the raw file first.
Dmitri Popov's suggestion might work, but to get the best results, you'll have
to use the image editor (menu "Tools"->"Image editor"). But learning to use
this tool will take some time and effort...

Remco

On 10/06/2021 09:17, Dmitri Popov wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Try to convert RAW files using the Batch Queue Manager. Add the desired RAW files to the manager using the Ctrl+B keyboard shortcut. Then add the Convert to JPEG tool to the job and a configure other settings, if needed. Run the job.

Hi Dmitri,

Thanks for the idea, I tried that, but it looks like it is not possible
to export outside of the albums this way. Or am I missing something?

Olivier

Re: Exporting RAW as full-resolution JPEG

Dmitri Popov-4
Hi Olivier,

What do you mean by "export outside of the albums"? Albums in digiKam are regular directories, so you can either move the exported photos to any other place manually, or you can specify the desired location directly in the Batch Queue Manager.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
---
Tōkyō Made - https://tokyoma.de/

Olivier

On 12/06/2021 20:40, Dmitri Popov wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> What do you mean by "export outside of the albums"? Albums in digiKam are regular directories, so you can either move the exported photos to any other place manually, or you can specify the desired location directly in the Batch Queue Manager.

As far as I can see, the BQM allows only to save the output files in an
album. I guess I could create a specific album or collection just for
the export, and move the files somewhere else when the batch is
finished, but that is cumbersome process that doesn't feel right. I
don't want an export process to touch my collections and albums at all.

I didn't find any way to generate the files outside of the collections.
Are you sure this is possible?

But I just realized the actual deal-breaker is that the raw decoder used
would be libraw, even though I use RawTherapee to edit them. It would
ignore all my setting. So I guess I will just export from RT.

Olivier

On dimanche 13 juin 2021 22:24:27 CEST Olivier Croquette wrote:

> But I just realized the actual deal-breaker is that the raw decoder used
> would be libraw, even though I use RawTherapee to edit them. It would
> ignore all my setting. So I guess I will just export from RT.

That would have been useful information from the start...
When exporting, digikam cannot use the editing info from RawTherapee (or any
external program), it doesn't understand RT's settings, and might not have the
required algorithms implemented. So to get the images you created in RT,
you'll **have** to export from RT.

In general, if you want to keep edits done with program X, you'll have to
export from program X, program Y will have no idea what to do with your edits
from X...