write information to metadata vs. sync metadata and database in maintenance

write information to metadata vs. sync metadata and database in maintenance

lopcio
Hello,

I use digiKam 7.1 on Windows 10. Could you please help me with my issue below?

During the first configuration of digiKam, I chose option "add information to files":

and in settings I selected also red crossed options in the screen below:

Questions:

1. Let's say that I for example edited some tags and recognized people in my photos. Then I close digiKam and then information are writing to metadata. But where precisely? To metadata in each photo file, or only to metadata in the database which is linked to photos?

2. What is the difference between how digiKam behaves in situation in question 1, and the option in maintenance > sync metadata and database > from database to image metadata?

Best regards
Michal