[digiKam-users] digikam data privacy questions

[digiKam-users] digikam data privacy questions

Markus Wachter

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am planning to switching from Lightroom to digikam as I do not like the subscription model.

So far digikam looks very interesting. After reading the privacy statement I am a bit puzzled.

Amongst other things it says "For a better experience while using our Service, we may require you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including but not limited to pictures. "

What data digikam is collecting?

Is digikam  collecting data on my pictures and tags?

Does digikam collect data from the face recognition?

Kind Regards,

Markus Wachter

Re: digikam data privacy questions

Gilles Caulier-4
Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, Markus Wachter
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>

> I am planning to switching from Lightroom to digikam as I do not like the subscription model.
>

> So far digikam looks very interesting. After reading the privacy statement I am a bit puzzled.
>
> Amongst other things it says "For a better experience while using our Service, we may require you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including but not limited to pictures. "
>
> What data digikam is collecting?
> Is digikam  collecting data on my pictures and tags?
> Does digikam collect data from the face recognition?

Hi,

Which Privacy sentence do you mean ?
Where do you see this sentence ???

digiKam project DO NOT collect personal information !!! It's an open
source project, not a private company as Adobe, Facebook, Google,
Microsoft, etc...

Best

Gilles Caulier

Re: digikam data privacy questions

Maik Qualmann
The privacy policy on our website is generic. It is a free default template
from the web. We had to add them to be able to continue using services from
Google. This affects the export of images to Google Photo or Google Drive. It
is clear that if you upload images to this service, they will also receive all
of the metadata in this images. digiKam never sends any information about your
images, metadata or anything else in the background to any server.

Maik

Am Sonntag, 4. April 2021, 05:03:22 CEST schrieb Gilles Caulier:

> Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, Markus Wachter
>
> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > Dear Sir/Madam,
> >

> > I am planning to switching from Lightroom to digikam as I do not like the
> > subscription model.
> >

> > So far digikam looks very interesting. After reading the privacy statement
> > I am a bit puzzled.
> >
> > Amongst other things it says "For a better experience while using our
> > Service, we may require you to provide us with certain personally
> > identifiable information, including but not limited to pictures. "
> >
> > What data digikam is collecting?
> > Is digikam  collecting data on my pictures and tags?
> > Does digikam collect data from the face recognition?
>
> Hi,
>
> Which Privacy sentence do you mean ?
> Where do you see this sentence ???
>
> digiKam project DO NOT collect personal information !!! It's an open
> source project, not a private company as Adobe, Facebook, Google,
> Microsoft, etc...
>
> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier

Re: digikam data privacy questions

leoutation
On 4/4/21 5:03 AM, Gilles Caulier wrote:

> Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, Markus Wachter
> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Dear Sir/Madam,
>>

>> I am planning to switching from Lightroom to digikam as I do not like the subscription model.
>>

>> So far digikam looks very interesting. After reading the privacy statement I am a bit puzzled.
>>
>> Amongst other things it says "For a better experience while using our Service, we may require you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including but not limited to pictures. "
>>
>> What data digikam is collecting?
>> Is digikam  collecting data on my pictures and tags?
>> Does digikam collect data from the face recognition?
>
> Hi,
>
> Which Privacy sentence do you mean ?
> Where do you see this sentence ???
Hi
It's here:
https://www.digikam.org/support/privacy_policy/
"Information Collection and Use
For a better experience while using our Service, we may require you to
provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including
but not limited to pictures. The information that we request is will be
retained by us and used as described in this privacy policy
The app does use third party services that may collect information used
to identify you.
Log Data
We want to inform you that whenever you use our Service, in case of an
error in the app we collect data and information (through third party
products) on your computer called Log Data. This Log Data may include
information such as your devices’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address,
device name, operating system version, configuration of the app when
utilising our Service, the time and date of your use of the Service, and
other statistics."

Maderios

On 4/4/21 9:35 AM, Maik Qualmann wrote:
> The privacy policy on our website is generic. It is a free default template
> from the web. We had to add them to be able to continue using services from
> Google. This affects the export of images to Google Photo or Google Drive. It
> is clear that if you upload images to this service, they will also receive all
> of the metadata in this images. digiKam never sends any information about your
> images, metadata or anything else in the background to any server.
>
> Maik

It doesn't matter if it concerns only data exported to GAFA sites
because sending private data to Google, Facebook, Apple or other
GAFA/Devil site is a choice.

Maderios

Re: digikam data privacy questions

Maik Qualmann
Again to make it clear. Such a data protection declaration is mandatory in the
EU. Without this data protection declaration, we would not have been able to
access the Google Photo or Goggle Drive API again. The privacy policy is part
of things that Google requires so that we can provide you with a plugin for
uploading images. Facebook has completely different requirements, but we are
no longer ready to meet them.

Maik

Am Sonntag, 4. April 2021, 14:06:38 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:

> On 4/4/21 9:35 AM, Maik Qualmann wrote:
> > The privacy policy on our website is generic. It is a free default
> > template
> > from the web. We had to add them to be able to continue using services
> > from
> > Google. This affects the export of images to Google Photo or Google Drive.
> > It is clear that if you upload images to this service, they will also
> > receive all of the metadata in this images. digiKam never sends any
> > information about your images, metadata or anything else in the
> > background to any server.
> >
> > Maik
>
> It doesn't matter if it concerns only data exported to GAFA sites
> because sending private data to Google, Facebook, Apple or other
> GAFA/Devil site is a choice.
>
> --
> Maderios

Re: digikam data privacy questions

digikam-2
On Sun, 04 Apr 2021 19:26:13 +0200
Maik Qualmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Facebook has completely different requirements, but we are
> no longer ready to meet them.

Just for interest, what are their requirement that you (as a group)
are no longer ready to meet them?

I'm saying you should, just info.

Thank you

--
sknahT

vyS

Re: digikam data privacy questions

Maik Qualmann
Uploading images requires extended rights. To do this, you have to conclude a
"business contract" with Facebook. This "business contract" actually assumes
that we are a company or organization. Furthermore, we would have to appoint a
data protection officer ...

We had already implemented other things such as the original Facebook logo and
the correct color of the login button.

Maik

On 4/4/21 7:26 PM, Maik Qualmann wrote:
> Again to make it clear. Such a data protection declaration is mandatory in the
> EU. Without this data protection declaration, we would not have been able to
> access the Google Photo or Goggle Drive API again. The privacy policy is part
> of things that Google requires so that we can provide you with a plugin for
> uploading images. Facebook has completely different requirements, but we are
> no longer ready to meet them.
>
> Maik
This point is very important.
Thanks for this explanation.