[digiKam-users] Star ratings

mmjoshi
Where are the star rating stored? I have rated a bunch of jpg files with star
ratings. However, if I copy the same files to another computer running
DigiKam, these star ratings are missing.

Using DigiKam 7.2 and Windows 10 on both the machines.

Re: Star ratings

Maik Qualmann
In the digiKam default settings, the rating is only written to the database.
You have to activate the writing of rating information (or other) metadata in
digiKam Settings-> Metadata. In the sidecar settings, you can set whether
metadata should be written in the images or in additional sidecar data so as
not to change the original images.

Maik

Am Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 06:30:03 CEST schrieb mmjoshi:

> Where are the star rating stored? I have rated a bunch of jpg files with
> star ratings. However, if I copy the same files to another computer running
> DigiKam, these star ratings are missing.
>
> Using DigiKam 7.2 and Windows 10 on both the machines.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digikam-users-f1735189.html

Re: Star ratings

mmjoshi
Hi Maik

Thanks for your response. I have turned on the option "Write to sidecar
files" with sub option "Write to XMP sidecar for read-only item only".

All my jpg files are having read/write permissions. Still, the ratings are
not written to the jpg files. Am I doing anything wrong?

Re: Star ratings

mmjoshi
Little confused. I am assuming that if I switch off the setting "Write to
sidecar files" the metadata be written to tiff and  dng files. What about
arw and pef files. So far the metadata such as tags, was written to xmp
sidecars.

Re: Star ratings

Dougie Nisbet
I'm not sure I understand. I rely on rating info being written directly
to image file. Then I use it later in a script that uses exiftool to
extract all info.

i.e.

     exiftool -d %c "${fname_image}" > ${wfexif}

then later ...

#
#       RATING
#
         rating_string=""
         exif_rating=$(grep '^Rating *:' ${wfexif} | cut -d: -f2- | sed
's/^ //')

# note use of lower case asterisk here and use of dejavu font in convert
command so that
# it is displayed properly
         case $exif_rating in
         1)
                 rating_string="_R_"
         ;;

        etc ...

which I use as a screen overlay for a screensaver.

Can you have a look at the image file with exiftool to see if the rating
info is there? I don't use sidecar files so perhaps there's an
inconsistency if you have sidecar files ticked? Does it also/still write
to image file?

Dougie

On 05/06/2021 13:09, mmjoshi wrote:
> Little confused. I am assuming that if I switch off the setting "Write to
> sidecar files" the metadata be written to tiff and  dng files. What about
> arw and pef files. So far the metadata such as tags, was written to xmp
> sidecars.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digikam-users-f1735189.html

Screenshot_20210605_223915.png (211K) Download Attachment

Re: Star ratings

mmjoshi
Hi Dougie

Yes, I can see the star rating in ExifTool. However, my confusion is about
what Maik said "If you want to write metadata in the images, you can leave
the sidecar switched off."

If I switch this option off, the metadata does not get written to sidecar
(xmp) files for arw and pef files. If I switch this option on the tag
metadata gets written to the sidecar files and the rating also gets written
to the jpg files. Will keep this option on.