[digiKam-users] ShowFoto 7.2

khbehrens
I can't seem to find the appimage of ShowFoto 7.2 on the digikam web site or with a web search. Is it available at another location?
My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 and the only version available in that repository is 6.4 deb file.
I plan to install ShowFoto on my laptop for a lightweight image editor.
I have successfully installed Digikam 7.2 appimage on my desktop machine and it works great.

73 & Cheers,
Ken Behrens
HCL Domino/Notes Application Developer
MicroBlue Software, LLC
KB0YLN
E-mail: [hidden email]
Web site:
http://www.MicroBlueSoftware.com

Re: ShowFoto 7.2

Gilles Caulier-4
Hi,

There is not specific AppImage for Showfoto, as... Showfoto is already
available in digiKam AppImage bundles as well.

To start Showfoto from digiKam AppImage, just use right argument from
command line, as explained in this README:

http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/kde-applicationdata/digikam/README

Best

Gilles Caulier

Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I can't seem to find the appimage of ShowFoto 7.2 on the digikam web site or with a web search. Is it available at another location?
> My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 and the only version available in that repository is 6.4 deb file.
> I plan to install ShowFoto on my laptop for a lightweight image editor.
> I have successfully installed Digikam 7.2 appimage on my desktop machine and it works great.
>
> 73 & Cheers,
> Ken Behrens
> HCL Domino/Notes Application Developer
> MicroBlue Software, LLC
> KB0YLN
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> Web site:  http://www.MicroBlueSoftware.com

Re: ShowFoto 7.2

khbehrens
Gilles,
I believe I misstated what I need or did not say it clearly.
I have limited space on my laptop and I do not need the full digiKam suite on it. I just want to install the standalone version of Showfoto to use as a lightweight image editor.
In the Ubuntu 20.04 repositories, the Showfoto version available is 6.4.0 and I was asking if version 7.2 was available elsewhere. Since appimage is OS independent, I posed my question in that context but can install a deb with no problems if pointed to the place to download.
If version 6.4.0 is the most recent standalone version, I will install it, but I just wanted to be sure that I installed the latest available.
Sorry for the confusion.

From:        "Gilles Caulier" <[hidden email]>
To:        "digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source" <[hidden email]>
Date:        04/03/2021 20:57
Subject:        Re: [digiKam-users] ShowFoto 7.2
Sent by:        "Digikam-users" <[hidden email]>

Hi,

There is not specific AppImage for Showfoto, as... Showfoto is already
available in digiKam AppImage bundles as well.

To start Showfoto from digiKam AppImage, just use right argument from
command line, as explained in this README:

http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/kde-applicationdata/digikam/README

Best

Gilles Caulier

Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I can't seem to find the appimage of ShowFoto 7.2 on the digikam web site or with a web search. Is it available at another location?
> My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 and the only version available in that repository is 6.4 deb file.
> I plan to install ShowFoto on my laptop for a lightweight image editor.
> I have successfully installed Digikam 7.2 appimage on my desktop machine and it works great.
>
> 73 & Cheers,
> Ken Behrens
> HCL Domino/Notes Application Developer
> MicroBlue Software, LLC
> KB0YLN
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> Web site:
http://www.MicroBlueSoftware.com

Re: ShowFoto 7.2

Gilles Caulier-4
To be clear, we never produce a AppImage especially for Showfoto. I'm
sure, i write all the build scripts myself which take more than one
year to tune, optimize and finalize.

And i will mre clear now : we will never produce a stand alone version
of Showfoto. Time and resources are limited.

Voilà

Gilles Caulier

Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 13:03, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Gilles,
> I believe I misstated what I need or did not say it clearly.
> I have limited space on my laptop and I do not need the full digiKam suite on it. I just want to install the standalone version of Showfoto to use as a lightweight image editor.
> In the Ubuntu 20.04 repositories, the Showfoto version available is 6.4.0 and I was asking if version 7.2 was available elsewhere. Since appimage is OS independent, I posed my question in that context but can install a deb with no problems if pointed to the place to download.
> If version 6.4.0 is the most recent standalone version, I will install it, but I just wanted to be sure that I installed the latest available.
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> 73 & Cheers,
> Ken Behrens
> HCL Domino/Notes Application Developer
> MicroBlue Software, LLC
> KB0YLN
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> Web site:  http://www.MicroBlueSoftware.com
>

> From:        "Gilles Caulier" <[hidden email]>
> To:        "digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source" <[hidden email]>
> Date:        04/03/2021 20:57
> Subject:        Re: [digiKam-users] ShowFoto 7.2
> Sent by:        "Digikam-users" <[hidden email]>
> ________________________________
>

> Hi,
>
> There is not specific AppImage for Showfoto, as... Showfoto is already
> available in digiKam AppImage bundles as well.
>
> To start Showfoto from digiKam AppImage, just use right argument from
> command line, as explained in this README:
>
> http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/kde-applicationdata/digikam/README
>
> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier
>
> Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > I can't seem to find the appimage of ShowFoto 7.2 on the digikam web site or with a web search. Is it available at another location?
> > My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 and the only version available in that repository is 6.4 deb file.
> > I plan to install ShowFoto on my laptop for a lightweight image editor.
> > I have successfully installed Digikam 7.2 appimage on my desktop machine and it works great.
> >
> > 73 & Cheers,
> > Ken Behrens
> > HCL Domino/Notes Application Developer
> > MicroBlue Software, LLC
> > KB0YLN
> > E-mail: [hidden email]
> > Web site:  http://www.MicroBlueSoftware.com

Re: ShowFoto 7.2

khbehrens
OK I understand now, I got confused with the availability of the Showfoto 6.4.0 standalone version in the Synaptic Package Manager because when I clicked on the "Visit homepage" button, it took me to the digiKam home page with the info on version 7.2.
If you do not produce a standalone Showfoto, where did the one in the Ubuntu repository come from? Is it legitimate? I've attached a screen shot of the package manager screen.

From:        "Gilles Caulier" <[hidden email]>
To:        "digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source" <[hidden email]>
Date:        04/04/2021 06:34
> [...]

> Hi,
>
> There is not specific AppImage for Showfoto, as... Showfoto is already
> available in digiKam AppImage bundles as well.
>
> To start Showfoto from digiKam AppImage, just use right argument from
> command line, as explained in this README:

http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/kde-applicationdata/digikam/README

> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier
>
> Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > I can't seem to find the appimage of ShowFoto 7.2 on the digikam web site or with a web search. Is it available at another location?
> > My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 and the only version available in that repository is 6.4 deb file.
> > I plan to install ShowFoto on my laptop for a lightweight image editor.
> > I have successfully installed Digikam 7.2 appimage on my desktop machine and it works great.

Screenshot from 2021-04-04 07-12-02.png (95K) Download Attachment

Re: ShowFoto 7.2

Gilles Caulier-4
It sounds like a package for a linux distro.

In fact packagers can easily separate digiKam and showfoto, even if
shared components are common.

But the gain is limited, since DK and Showfoto share 80% of the same
plugins. The difference of course is the database support and the
search tools.

Gilles Caulier

Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 15:20, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > There is not specific AppImage for Showfoto, as... Showfoto is already
> > available in digiKam AppImage bundles as well.
> >
> > To start Showfoto from digiKam AppImage, just use right argument from
> > command line, as explained in this README:
> >
> > http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/kde-applicationdata/digikam/README
> >
> > Best
> >
> > Gilles Caulier
> >
> > Le dim. 4 avr. 2021 à 00:14, <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > >
> > > I can't seem to find the appimage of ShowFoto 7.2 on the digikam web site or with a web search. Is it available at another location?
> > > My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 and the only version available in that repository is 6.4 deb file.
> > > I plan to install ShowFoto on my laptop for a lightweight image editor.
> > > I have successfully installed Digikam 7.2 appimage on my desktop machine and it works great.

Thanks for patiently explaining this issue! Sorry that I was so dense in understanding what was going on.
I now see that the package in the Ubuntu distro is split out from the digiKam release by a third party. I assume that version 7.2 will eventually find its way into the Ubuntu distro.
I'll proceed to install v6.4.4.0 on my laptop to use as an image editor now that I feel confident of its origin and authenticity.

From:        "Gilles Caulier" <[hidden email]>
To:        "digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source" <[hidden email]>
Date:        04/04/2021 08:04