[digiKam-users] Setting lost after basic cleanup?

[digiKam-users] Setting lost after basic cleanup?

Gerhard
Hi,

having done a cleanup on c: drive (by system, on drive properties,
general tab, "cleanup"), Digikam /.2 does not findany previous image
collections, dato or settings, on restart. Just as if it was a new
installation. How could this happen? I had many restarts without this issue.

Any idea?

Cheeers, Gerhard.

Re: Settings lost after basic cleanup?

Stephen Leibowitz
This post was updated on .
This issue and your previous topic may be related. If digiKam cannot find the
digikamrc file, I think the program would present you with The First Run
Dialog
 to configure your settings.

You could try to give the same answers as before, on the chance that your
previous work with digiKam has not been “cleaned up.” After you go through
the First Run Dialog and exit the program normally, digikamrc should be in a
subfolder of Users. I think making a backup of the file would be advisable.

Here is an additional suggestion. Add an exclusion to Windows Security.

Re: Settings lost after basic cleanup?

Gerhard
tnx for reply.

I had digiKam running, restarts without issues, even when i was
searching (and not finding  config file). So missing config file might
not be the cause of lost conifg. When lost config occured, i startet
"fiddeling" around, tried to delete files in %appdata%, either roaming
and local, what did not help.

But i'll give it a try going throug fristrun with hopefully same
answers. But as i basically did only import/scaning, i can yust start
all over, anyway. For this one. Hope it is just a singular event....

BTW: how many files/size can digiKam handle at maximum?

Am 07.05.2021 um 02:13 schrieb Stephen Leibowitz:

> This issue and your previous topic may be related. If digiKam cannot find the
> digikamrc file, I think the program would present you with the First Run
> Dialog to configure your settings:
> https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/digikam-doc/digikam/intro-firstrun.html
>
> You could try to give the same answers as before, on the chance that your
> previous work with digiKam has not been “cleaned up.” After you go through
> the First Run Dialog and exit the program normally, digikamrc should be in a
> subfolder of Users. I think making a backup of the file would be advisable.
>
> Here is an additional suggestion. Add an exclusion to Windows Security:
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26

> Sent from: http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digikam-users-f1735189.html

Re: Setting lost after basic cleanup?

Gerhard

Hi,

so, as conlusion for first incident, i assume my "cleanup" deleted local conifg file accidentially.

But now again, i "lost" settings (path to file collection/ root album). What i basically did:

  • moved folder with all collections/fotos to a  new usb drive (from a usb drive with flaky internal connector board)
  • ordered drive letters to match same letter as befor, (with new drive having different patition scheme, and different drive names)

DigiKam did not find previos collection path (like f:/digiKam), and started without collection. When i looked  for config files then, there were brand new timestamps for configuration files under %userprofil%/appdata/local. Path to DB files (a local path)  was still known and valid.

How can this occure?  As i  mentioned, old drive had bad connector, and dissaperared occasionally. I probably may have started digikam without having  any of old or new drive connected. Does this "reset" collections path?

At the end, there was no loss of tagging, faces and such. Yust some time to reload root album rsb. file collection. I've added  path for removable drive again, and scan found everything then.

One thing else to mention: setup for  adding new removable drive did know old folder name (same as new one), but did not show a path, so i deletet this entry, after new entry did showup all expectet data. This behaviour is somewhat unclear to me.