[digiKam-users] Migrating form Picasa for Windows

[digiKam-users] Migrating form Picasa for Windows

Alan Jones
I have been following Digikam for a while now, but have not made the "jump". I have long used Picasa desktop for Windows with face detection etc. How well do things transfer? What experiences have others had with migrating and using Digikam and leaving Picasa?

I have been watching the face detection work and wonder if now is the time to look at migrating.

Re: Migrating form Picasa for Windows

Jozef Riha
Hi, I cannot really comment on face detection - I'd say you'll just have to try that - maybe on a smaller sample and see how the recognition works (performance, accuracy). digiKam also reads the existing face tags if Picasa stored them into files. A few things that I did notice when switching my parents from Picasa (Linux) to digiKam (Linux) are:
  - there is no way how to make albums appear as a flat list (in Picasa if you have a/b, a/b/c, a/b/c/d you'll get albums b c d, digiKam does not support this). You may or may see this as an issue (a matter of preference).
  - I kinda miss the Picasa's search bar in the upper right corner - very easy to filter the album(s) I want to see, digiKam's search is very versatile but IMHO not that efficient
  - editing options of digiKam are far superior, extra tools are nice
  - for me the cloud features of Picasa stopped working years back but that could be because I was using it on Linux (haven't checked in depth)

Cheers, jose