bad audio decoding on stream ?

mfoss
Sorry, not sure exactly how to classify this.
I have digikam latest 7.2.0 Beta2 installed on linux mint 19.3 xfce.
I actually access this remotely on LAN through nomachine 7.x

Everything works flawless, except whenever I play a video file. The sound is
garbled and the video is not smooth.
If I open the same video(s) trough digikam with "open with..." and select
ie. VLC or Celluliod, the playback and sound (still remotely through nomachine)
is smooth as butter.

I've tried also on a local instance of digikam, this is a lot better, but there is still
some stuttering during playback and static in the sound.

I've tried changing the preview settings but don't think this is related to video files.
So I was wondering whether its possible to address to quality of video playback, or
make it possible to always open in external application instead of fullscreen when
doubleclicking on a video file in thumbnail mode