Why Nikon D7500 isn't recognized at all by digiKam

Why Nikon D7500 isn't recognized at all by digiKam

pschroeter
I’ve been trying for the past two months to figure out how to download photos with digiKam directly off my Nikon D7500. After beating my head against the wall the entire time, I’ve finally determined the gphoto2 libraries digiKam uses to recognize cameras aren’t available for the Windows 10 version which means I have to use USB Storage Devices. This makes sense as this was how I was able to download the photos off my last camera a Sony a6000.

The problem is USB Storage Devices is grayed out when I have the Nikon connected. I can hear the Nikon mount when I plug it in and navigate to the photos and work with them in other programs. I can’t figure out why the digiKam can’t recognize the Nikon at all.

I've also tried adding the Camera manually to the list, but have never gotten it to work and I think it has something to do with the way the path is defined.