Reading and displaying Xmp.xmp.Label in .jpp as colour labels in DigiKam

Reading and displaying Xmp.xmp.Label in .jpp as colour labels in DigiKam

Oldariel
Hello,

I have only recently discovered digiKam and am currently exploring the way it works. I must say I am impressed :), no idea why I have not stumbled upon it sooner.

I have run into a small issue though. I used Adobe Bridge before to organize, categorize and label (keyword) the photos in my collection. Some are .jpg without sidecars, some are .arw with .xmp sidecars. When you choose a colour category in Bridge, it writes the name (string) of the colour into the xmp.xmp.Label field, in my case this was written as metadata into the .jpg itself – the .jpg does not have a sidecar. In my case this string is "red".

When I look at the metadata of this .jpg in digiKam, I can see the string "red" in the XMP tab, under Basich Schema, Label. But digiKam does not display this .jpg with a red outline in the thumbnail viewer, it also does not filter this .jpg when I choose the Label red in the left side pane. The .arw photos with .xmp sidecars in my collection also have this label, it is however “Red” (it begins with a capital “R”) and is written inside the .xmp sidecar, not in the .arw itself. These .arw photos are displayed with red outlines in digiKam and are filtered, when I chose the Label red in the left side pane.

Is the capital “R” in the label “Red” and “red” the reason for this difference in behaviour? Or have I configured digiKam wrong? I have chosen the options to read and write metadata from sidecar files, since half of my photos does have them. Any suggestions on how to get digiKam to interpret the xmp.xmp.Label “red” in my .jpg photos as the Colour label red, as it does with my .arw photos? So it would display the .jpg files with the xmp.xmp.Label red with a red outline and filter them, when I select the label red in the left side pane?

Best regards,

Jernej

Re: Reading and displaying Xmp.xmp.Label in .jpp as colour labels in DigiKam

Oldariel
Let me answer my own question :). I have done some searching and tesing, and found out the following. The xmp values, that are strings, like the xmp.xmp.label in my example are case sensitive. And digiKam does indeed recognize the xmp.xmp.label Red (with a capital R) as a red label, but it does not recognise the label xmp.xmp.label red (with a small r) as a red label.

My problem is now technically solved, Im looking forward to using digiKam.

Only thing I have to figure out now is a command for exiftool to replace all existing xmp.xmp.Label metadata entries in my photo collection with Red instead of red.