Please rescue me from the rescanning...-hell

Please rescue me from the rescanning...-hell

hermanS
I have a large collection on my NAS: 60k+ photo’s, 20 sub/albums/folders. Windows PC.

I have “scan for new items on startup’ enabled. As well as “rescan when files are modified”, “Clean up metadata from DB when rescan”..

Rescanning on startup takes a few hours. When something goes wrong, (NAS not available, …), rescanning again costs a few hours.. Is this rescanning-function documented somewhere?

Most of my collection does not change that often, only in particular folders, new files get uploaded. It would therefore be useful if there was a way to just rescan one particular folder (ahem album) of subfolder.
There is a refreshing-option. But that mainly generates new thumbnails..

Being able to rescan just one particular folder would also come in very handy when reorganizing my library. Moving files around, splitting folders etc. Does deliver some unexpected results. Sometimes on moving files I get a dialog box (rename, overwrite,..)…on other occasions the same process just yields a message “this file or folder already exists”…

Moving files around outside Digikam is faster in many ways. But not when rescanning means rescanning the whole library..(en for detecting duplicates  and checking metadate when merging, Digikam is better)…Being able to rescan just one folder would solve my issues and give me the best of both worlds..

Finally, a “quick-rescan” option would be handy when things went wrong. (e.g. NAS drive unavailable,…). The database would still be intact, so no need to check each file when scanning, just quickly rebuild the index would do…

Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated. Cleaning up the photo library during the Holidays was the plan, but ot spending the most part waiting on rescanning…