Digikam on Raspberry Pi: No thumbnails on camera import window, no download

Digikam on Raspberry Pi: No thumbnails on camera import window, no download

Rabble
Hello!

I have installed digiKam on my Pi 4B (8 GB) to be able to upload photos from my camera phone.  The phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro) is immediately recognised by digiKam, and on clicking Import, DK seems to start to get photo data from the camera.

However, exactly one thumbnail is shown in the import window, and no more.  All the photos (about 1000) seem to be recognised (and video files) but without thumbnails. This is actually exactly what I need it for, to determine what to upload, so it's a bit depressing.

I have put the three SQLite DBs on permissions 'anyone' to read and write, no difference.  I tried manually creating a USB PTP camera, but exactly the same happens.  (I suspect, in fact, that this is what DK is emulating because my phone postdates the version of DK in the Pi repository, 5.9.0.)

I tried downloading some photos from the camera to the Pi, but nothing happens.  No error message, nothing, it simply does not download.

The SQLite DBs are on the Pi's microSD card (SanDisk High Endurance 128Gb), so I expect it to be slow, but others have got DK to work on the Pi, so I don't think this is the blocker.  And I have tried several USB cables.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?  I would love to fix this as digiKam looks exactly what I need (I'm going to be processing thousands of photos).

Many thanks!