Digikam is re-reading the metadata for pictures modified during the previous session. Why?

Digikam is re-reading the metadata for pictures modified during the previous session. Why?

woenx
Yesterday I edited the metadata of several thousand pictures, as part of a big restructuring of my tag tree.

However, today when I opened digikam (6.4.0), it is taking a very long time to scan for new files (instead of the usual couple minutes when there's nothing new). Checking the console output, it seems that it is re-scanning the metadata for all those pictures that were edited during the last session. So far it's been two hours and the initial scan progress is still at 53%.

Why is it doing that, if changes in the metadata and in the pictures were already applied?