About face detection

woenx
I have been testing the new face detection algorithm during the last few days in a real world scenario, and I can say I'm quite impressed.

I have compared the effectiveness of face detection in Digikam and Picasa, and both programs returned a near identical number of detected faces (about 10000 in my personal collection). However, the faces which are detected differ.

Digikam is quite good at detecting faces which are not directly facing the camera, and also those that are tilted, which Picasa basically ignores. However, digikam has some trouble detecting faces directly looking at the camera but in pictures with lower resolution, in which Picasa is still able to recognize.

Nevertheless, Picasa still seems to be much more effective in terms of face recognition. At least for the moment.